Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I missed my 30th Birthday!

Whoops. Those Koreans got me again. So they start counting years at conception, and then something happens when the New Year Comes in. Maybe you need some kind of higher math to calculate your age here, I don't know. I do know that it is somewhere more than a year and less than two years older here.
Age is very important in issues of social interaction and paying respect, so I get asked my age about every time I meet someone new. Today was my first time back to the climbing gym since the New Year came in, and I was surprised this time to find out I'm now 30 here! Really, I was 29 here three weeks ago, I swear. I must have had my 30th in Siem Reap while visiting Angkor Wat. That's okay with me. It was an awesome party New Years, and in a really cool exotic location. I had a destination birthday! Now, not only will it be a let down when I actually turn 30 in American years (I can't imagine I'll have quite the same celebration), it will also not be a big deal. I mean, how bad can 30 be when you hit it for the second time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home