Sunday, October 22, 2006

Accu--what?

A couple weeks ago I decided to go try accupuncture. My lower back has been rather killer lately so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I started assuming that I'd go in, they'd turn me into a porcupine, and wham-o I'd be cured. Not so much. It turns out there is accupuncture, accupressure, and an accu-sucker machine to be contended with as well.

The gentleman who was recommended to me speaks some pretty limited english, so between his english medical phrase book and some serious gesturing on my part, I think I managed to convey what I was after. So they take me back to a little exam cubby and I lay down on my tummy expecting the needles, but instead, the nurse wheels up this machine and sticks these big suckers on my back that procede to pinch me and stimulate my muscles with what I think was electricity but I'm not sure. I tried asking, but I hit a brick wall with that one.

So when the sucker machine was done, the doctor probed my back for a while with the needles and then put needles in my knees, ankles, hands, and filtrum. Those needles stayed in for a good half-hour and then they sent me off with some herbal tea. Overall, the experience was not unpleasant, and as I've returned for follow-ups, it's become pretty relaxing. I've graduated to more and smaller sucker machine leads, and we've varied the needle placement a bit, and really, I'm feeling better! The main drawback is that the way I bruise, the sucker thing has left some serious and numerous hickies on my back. I look like I've been trying to mate unsuccessfully with an octopus. But hey, beauty is a small price to pay for comfort.

PS: thanks for your comments. It's fun to get some feedback and find out who is tuning in. And while I'm at it, I need to apologize for my spelling and grammar. I recently read back through some of my posts, and my editing skills are definitely lacking.

1 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

ha!
good to hear about your adventures; keep'em comin! just got in from the UK mission trip to Loughborough. Great trip! the team even went to Venice, Italy on Thursday for a break!

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home