Thursday, May 24, 2007

Happy Birthday Buddha!

Today (well, I guess to my readership today is a nebulous statement since usually it is yesterday where you are) is Buddha's birthday! To celebrate, the gentleman who teaches Korean culture at our school is taking us to tour a buddhist temple. I have visited several temples in my travels, but I haven't been inside a buddhist one yet, and I imagine there will be some festivities this evening. The Koreans are much more religiously diverse than we are, and I've been told that many of them embrace multiple religions. There must be a ton of buddhists here though because there are temples everywhere. They always hang paper lanterns out to mark the way to the temple, and the paper lanterns are ubiquitous.

Ah, the previous paragraph was written with the adventurous spirit of youth, which I'm afraid is not shared by my colleagues. It started raining approximately thirty minutes before we were set to meet, but I didn't think you could rain out buddha's birthday. ha. My friend Julie and I were the only two that ventured out in the rain to meet our tour guide...who didn't show either! boo.

Oh well. Since I can't write about my great buddhist cultural experience, I'll just take this opportunity to make one more observation on Koreans and their strange shoe fetishes. Last night my friend I trade Korean/English lessons with came to my house! We had a great time: taught each other card games, went to dinner in the restaurant downstairs, worked on some pronunciation. Everything seemed great till she asked to use my restroom. She opens the bathroom door and gives a small shriek. I'm petrified I've forgotten to flush the toilet or some stray bug has come in, but no. When I ask, she asks me where my bathroom shoes are.

Now, Koreans wear slippers in their homes, and they alway take their street shoes off at the door. You can't even wear your shoes into my dentist's office or into some restaurants, so I'm totally used to this. Frankly, I don't let people wear street shoes into my house either because the sidewalks are so filthy. I have slippers in my foyer if they want to wear a pair. But apparently the house slippers won't do for the bathroom. You need a completely separate pair to step into! This is so important that my friend actually tried to improvise by putting one socked foot on the bathtub and the other on the door jam! I ran to get her some slippers which she looked slightly scandalized at but took anyway. I'm not sure what the deal is here.

My first thought was wet floor because most Korean showers are just nozzles attached to the sink so the whole bathroom gets wet. Mine is like that in my bedroom, but the guest bathroom has a tub, so that can't be it. The tub also rules out not wanting to get dirt on the floor you shower on. And the floor itself is totally clean! Again, no shower goop because of the tub. I'll have to ask about that one and fill you in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Claire!!! It's Holly and Carrie! We've been catching up on your blog and love hearing about all your adventures. I can relate to the bathroom shoe thing since I'm a little neurotic that way (there could be hair on the floor) (in case you hadn't guessed, it's Carrie typing) And Holly says someone with planters warts could have walked in there. We wanted to wish you a happy upcoming birthday!! Any exciting plans? By the way, is this the best/only way to get in touch with you, or do you have an email or phone number to try? Holly wants to know if you are coming to the US at all anytime soon? We'll come see you wherever you are! How is your family and your nieces? We miss you and hope you have a fabulous birthday, give us a shout! My email is still wahoowa01@hotmail.com and Holly's is ahrcoady@yahoo.com. Hope to hear from you soon! Love, Holly and Carrie

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home