Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Climbing the walls

Climbing is a sport I have participated in on-and-off over the years. When I worked for the rec center, I would go on their trips. When I had friends who enjoyed climbing, I would go to gyms with them. Needless to say, I never amounted to much as a climber, but I always had fun when I went. So when a friend of mine here invited me to go to a climbing gym with him, I figured, "why not?"
It is a Korean climbing gym, so it's denizens speak little English, but I think that is part of the fun. The ceilings are only about 10-12 feet high, so we don't use ropes or harnesses. The climbing course covers every wall and the ceiling, and it provides some inclines and plenty of challenges with the grips. The floor is covered with mats to fall on, and after lots of testing, I can say they are sufficient cushion for a fall. :)
The folks there are awesome. The two guys who run the gym try valiantly to teach me, and I think I'm getting better. Everyone else tries teaching me too, so I know I must be pretty bad to still need so much help. It's hilarious though because of their limited English and my more than limited Korean. Most often I get told to, "Sit down!" which means bend my knees more, and "relax!" which means I'm using way too much muscle and not enough balance.

My favorite part is the language lessons though. I'm not really learning many words, but I'm getting really adept at reading voice intonation and body language. The bottom line is that some social interactions look the same in any language...especially teasing and match making. It's like being part of a big family there because they are all constantly ribbing each other and challenging each other to try tougher courses. The ladies there offer to set me up with a variety of the men that come, and the men that own the gym are constantly teasing me about how weak I am and how much I stick my butt out when I'm climbing. I smile and laugh because I get the gist, and they always ask me if I understand. Not the words, but definitely the intentions. I feel like family there because in addition to the teasing, I get lots of pats and encouragement, and a warm spot by the heater when I first come in. The folks there also bring in food to share sometimes, and we even sat and had a picnic on the mats once! Who would have thought I would find so much culture and companionship in a gym?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home