Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Hilltop

I had another typically atypical evening on a military installation today. First I attended an evacuation exercise during which we practice what would happen if Korea suddenly decided to go to war. We do this every year, but it's always fun to answer questions about your health, weight, and blood type while every single person asks you who your sponsor is. (Me. I'm my sponsor, so I'm never sure how to answer that one. :) You also receive a gas mask and training on how to use it. This is actually my favorite part, and I'm really disappointed that I have to give my gas mask back before I move.

After the government deemed me ready to flee the country in an emergency, I hit the gym and then headed to the Hilltop to hear a band. Now in real life, I would not go straight from the gym to a bar in my work out clothes, but it seems that on base, any attire is appropriate for most occasions. And I wasn't the only one there in my exercise duds. I joined a group of about ten adults and twenty children who had gathered to enjoy the band, and I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

Usually, a night at the Hilltop involves such things as hearing the parents of my students sing lewd songs, seeing bizarre mating rituals on the dance floor, or being hit on by random soldiers, but not tonight. Tonight, the dance floor was absolutely packed by the under ten crowd who were rocking out to a funk version of Mary had a little lamb. what?! at a bar?! It was the ultimate kiddie birthday party, but it was just for fun. No special occasion, just a really cool band that was willing to cater to the kids. They played some songs for the adults too, and the kids dragged us out to dance like maniacs with them, but mostly we just laughed at the children's wild abandon and the band's good humor. The best part was that half the girls had come from ballet and were on the dance floor in their tutus shaking their groove things.

The randomness of my life here never ceases to make me giggle, but it sure is fun. I'll miss this place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home