Tuesday, June 09, 2009

My life in Korean boxes

Today I sat and watched as four Korean men packed my life into boxes. And not just any boxes, mind you, these were stuff shaped boxes. It was brilliant! Rather than trying to cram my furniture into pre-made containers, or simply loading the big pieces loose into the crates, they brought rolls of cardboard and made boxes that fit my stuff! It was an interesting process to watch and a hilarious thing to watch parade out of the house. Look! There goes a chair-shaped box! What's that one that looks like the wardrobe from Beauty and the Beast? Oh that's my baker's rack! There were some boxes that I couldn't guess the contents from the strange shape (or the Korean labeling on the outside), but I imagine it will just make it that much more fun to unpack.

Anyway, after they carefully hand-made boxes and packaged all my things, they threw them out the window. :) Well, not literally. They sort of just shoved them out the window and onto a lift. Because teh majority of housing here is in high rises, the moving companies all come with a giant truck lift so they don't have to try and fit beds and couches in the elevators. I imagine it saves quite a bit of energy as well. I was slightly nervous my stuff would fall five stories onto some poor person on the sidewalk, but I was scared senseless by the men jumping out my window onto the lift to arrange things. Five stories in the air on a small platform with zero safety equipment. Of course no one or thing fell. They do this all the time, but I felt better when they were finished.

So everything I own is on its way to Germany, and I am leaving Korea in a few short days for my summer in the states. I don't think it's really hit me yet that I'm not coming back here at the end of the summer, but I think the start of my new adventure will make-up for the end of this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home