Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Princess and the Couch

I finally feel like I’m settled here in Germany, but it has been quite a process. You would think that since the movers dumped everything on the floor, that I would not have any trouble finding stuff, but the Korean packers were too efficient with their space. After I had gone through all my piles, I still couldn’t find many of my things. My first thought was that a box had been lost in the process, but as I continued to put things away, I noticed a trend. Even though the Koreans had emptied out the contents of all of my furniture, they had not left the drawers empty. Nor had they replaced the wrapped items back in the drawers they came from. So. The dirty laundry was thoughtfully placed in my filing cabinet, all of the pillows for my bed were safely tucked in my bar, and my lamps were stuffed behind decorator pillows in my bookshelf. :) Just where I thought they’d be. I still haven’t found my iron. Cradled in the bread maker perhaps?

After the house was semi-put away, I began the process of buying a couch. Buying a couch is much easier than buying a car, but I was much more particular about the type of couch than the vehicle. And I was definitely reminded of the princess and the pea as I sat down on at least fifty different couches that were too stiff or too low or too expensive. Germans seem to like a firm couch, so much so, that I actually winced after sitting down too hard on a couple. My pampered bottom is apparently too wimpy for German furniture. And Dan’s in trouble. Every couch that I really liked cost over $5,000. My bottom also seems to have radar for the finer things in life. :) Luckily I found a super sale at the furniture store on base, and purchased a floor model for a tenth of the price of the other couches I liked. It’s not perfect, but it’s squishy enough for me.

With the couch in place, I now have enough seating for guests, so I need to finish the decorating. I managed to hang the curtains using mostly twine, and as strange as that sounds, it actually looks pretty normal. My last challenge will be to finish hanging the pictures. Hopefully I’ll have everything done and the floors swept by Sunday because I’m having my first guests in then. And Dan gets here in two weeks!!! I’m crossing all of my appendages in hopes of having the internet settled by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home