Sunday, January 21, 2007

Small, Small World

Last night we decided to hit the downtown here in Taegu. I am always astounded that the Koreans here don't think much of their downtown, but this is mostly because it is not Seoul. I think it's great! There is a section of several city blocks that are completely full of restaurants, bars, and clubs. We decided to start late since several of our friends play in a band and didn't get out till 1am. These guys are awesome. They've totally tapped into the international community and know all the cool little bars that play good music, have people from all over the world, and an available pool table. I spent the evening with Phillipinos, Koreans, Japanese, Americans, and even some Canadians.

In the process of meeting everyone, I was told there was another Texan in the room, and the conversation went like this: "What city in Texas?" "I'm from Waco." "No, your not! I'm from Waco!" "Where'd you go to High School?" "Midway." "No, I went to Midway!" I was elated! How is it possible that I found another human being from the same small central Texas town that I grew up in all the way across the world?! It was so much fun to play the name game. He even lived in Woodway! Unbelievable.

The other unbelievable element of the evening was the length of it. I purposefully left my watch at home with the idea that I might actually stay out late if I didn't know what time it was. As with most cities in the world, the nightlife goes till dawn here, so at dawn we all stumbled into a restaurant for some galbi. I was appalled when we left that it was light outside again! Yes folks, I got home this morning at 8am. woof. I now understand why people do this though.

The gentleman tending bar at the place we landed owned the bar and knew most of the people in it. The people there were all friends or friends of friends, so we all hung out and chatted together. I met probably twenty people, and actually had some extensive conversation with at least six of them. It was so cool to go to a bar and interact with people other than the friends you came with and the jerks that try to hit on you. I made friends! At a bar! So it was actually fun to stay out till breakfast.

Don't worry. I'm way too old to repeat that feat on any kind of a regular basis, but man it was fun.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Claire! Wow! I am pumped that you partied hard like that! There's no way that I could do that anymore without sleeping for a week straight before and after. You are having some truly awesome experiences! Love Lo!

10:31 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

congratulations!
quite a contrast from honkytonking on Broadway!

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home