Tuesday, October 02, 2007

In the land of Squash


Well, there's only so much I can say about squash, but I have to say something because it's everywhere. I mean it! I think there are two squash seasons: one in the spring and one in the fall, and I also think it must grow wild here. Last year I thought it odd when I saw pumpkins growing on roofs in one of the villages, but this year, I have noticed them growing on all kinds of roofs, including the one at the train station! I also found a squash plant growing down from a roof into a tree...and the squash is hanging right over the sidewalk on my way to the market! In the middle of the city! There are squash hanging out into the street and dangling over my head! And then I went for a walk along the river in the public park...and found squash growing all through the park. And then I got on a train and realized that it was also growing all along the highways and in the gullies next to the tracks! I'll have to ask if all that squash belongs to the city or if people are allowed to pick it for themselves. Either way that's weird. Can you imagine driving down the highway and seeing pumpkins growing in the median? Or squash dangling from the power lines? The flowers are really beautiful though.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Claire its Jonathan. Just wanted to say hi and hope all is going well with you. Things in Nashville are good this year. We missed out on Jack and Back becasue we had a wedding in Michigan but next year we are trying to get friends from Nebraska and other states to join in the fun and ride with us. Maybe you could return to do the ride!!!

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home